In 2003, UNESCO, the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, proclaimed the historic zone of Tel Aviv, also know as The White City, as a World Cultural Heritage site. By this proclamation, UNESCO recognized the special architectural qualities of the buildings, streets, squares and avenues of this zone. The White City area was built in an innovative style, tailored to the needs of its residents, to their life styles, and to the climatic conditions of the region. This area is the world's largest grouping of buildings designed in the International Style known as Bauhaus.
Beginning in the 1930's until the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948, about 4,000 buildings were constructed in this area in the International Style. The White City is located between Allenby Street in the south, Begin Road and Ibn Gvirol Street in the east, the Yarkon River in the north, and the Mediterranean Sea in the west.